Thursday, April 1, 2010

Why I like programming...

First of all some background: I grew up as only-child.

Why is this relevant? Because that meant that boardgames were out of the question!

And how did I entertain myself? Well, let's put it this way... I did spend a lot of quality time with my Lego friends!

Several years and several thousands lines of code later I realized that coding reminds me of playing with my Lego.

Why?

First of all it's all about creating things. Only you're lucky and some very smart people have already created building blocks for you! Usually you have some idea about what you want to do and guess what, you can even find instructions about how to do it! But when you really want to built something great, then you have to be creative. You have to figure out how to assemble the bricks you have without creating something your baby-cousin can destroy with a blow. And on top of that you also have to solve problems that your ready-made bricks cant help you with. Some times you don't even know if what you have in your mind is feasible but if you're prepared to take your chances then you you end up with something beautiful. Whether its a your dream house, a fancy GUI or a geeky car it doesn't really matter. The important thing is that you put a little bit of yourself in it and dammit, it looks great!

So that's why I like programming... who wants to play with me?

1 comment: